Monday, January 14, 2013

Reclaimed Rags

I set out today with a goal of recycling something and I managed to accomplish exactly that. Thanks to a trusty little email from FaveCrafts, I found the inspiration to finally put some of my old t-shirts to new work. Using the Knotted T-Shirt Scarf pattern by Shwin and Shwin, I made, well, a knotted t-shirt scarf! :)

I love the pattern of this shirt, but it just never fit quite right. The first thing I did was cut off the hem, which I opted not to use in my scarf, but decided to set it aside for another something special. Then I cut the body of the shirt into 1-inch strips and wrapped them around my wrist 4 times each like so...

I cut 2 inch long strips from the remaining portion of the shirt to use as ties and connected all of the rings I'd made. For my scarf, I decided to make a complete circle, but it would be cute to make a longer one and leave it open-ended. To make it look nice and neat, I snipped off the ends of the ties and sat back to admire my handiwork.

This completed scarf was embellished with antique wire-stemmed white roses. The shirt hem was tied into a bracelet and finished off with another antique white rose.

I'll be digging deep into that box of old t-shirts to see what other designs I can come up with, working from this pattern.


No comments:

Post a Comment