Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Brown Baggin' It

I stumbled upon a fantabulous tutorial at Cool 2 Craft and thought, hey why not?! Except I don't have a die cutter and am not a big fan of those little adhesive dots or spray adhesive the crafty lady in the video uses... so I adapted it a little bit to better suit my work style. Oh yeah, I also don't have a heart shaped frame on hand, but I was able to find a stack of nicely cut down 1x6x6 boards to make some good sized wall hangings.

For this project I gathered my aforementioned piece of wood, of course, my trusty Mod Podge, a sponge brush, some pretty scrapbook paper, a few brown paper bags and went to town.

I mixed water with my white paint to make a whitewash...
...and whitewashed all of the brown paper bag pieces.
Then I picked a shade of green to apply in streaks as a subtle accent.
 While my paper dried, I drilled holes in the wood for a 16 gauge 
wire hanger, then used Mod Podge to apply the scrapbook paper.
Since I don't have a die cutter, I cut out my flowers by hand,
hot-glued them in layers, crumpled them up to "age" them
a bit and embellished them with pearl beads.
And here you see the final result.

 
Suddenly that pile of wood in the garage looks less like a big ole mess and more like a bundle of viable crafting material to me. Hmmmmmm. On to the next project!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment