Friday, February 15, 2013

Lead 'Em On

Rambunctious horses tend to get a little destructive from time to time, and our draft horse buddies are no exception. The other night I came across a stash of draft halters with broken buckles that had been tucked away in a corner of the barn and forgotten about. You know me, I decided to bring them into the craft room and see what I could do. I mean really, what was I going to hurt by trying? They haven't been used since the buckles got broken anyway, so there was no harm in making an attempt.

I gathered up all of my supplies, including 2 of my 3 Piece Locking Pliers Set the hubby picked up at Lowe's, because seriously, who doesn't use hand tools for stitch 'n' repair jobs?!

I assessed each halter individually. Some could be repaired on the spot. Others had to be set aside for further review.

Those that could be repaired had the broken hooks removed first. Since none of the material was ruined, I folded it over the ring and started stitching it together with upholstery thread by hand.

Because this is the first time I've done a repair such as this, I don't know how long the stitches will hold. For that reason, the halters I was able to fix by hand will be used only around our barn. Safety first!

Oh, and nevermind the dirt seen in all of these pictures. I did not wash the halters before working on them. However I did thoroughly cleanse and disinfect my workspace, tools and ironing board cover when I finished this project. See, safety really is important around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment