Monday, February 4, 2013

Cozy Like a Warm Blanket

Warning: This post may contain multiple movie references because, well, because that's who I am and that's what I do. Let's roll with it, shall we?

Remember in "Mr. Mom" when little Kenny's woobie is in such a state of disrepair that his dad opts to staple it back together? That's what this poor horse blanket looked like when I got it and, quite honestly, a stapler might not have been a bad way to go if the whole point wasn't for the safety and comfort of an older horse. So I put the stapler out of my mind and moved on to find another solution.

 Here's what I started with. Eek, it's shredded!

 Some spots were a breeze to stitch together.

Searching through my old coat closet, I found this icky old broken-zippered, stained up, ripped beyond belief jacket that I didn't even remember owning for a hot minute that suddenly became perfect for cutting into patches. Now I admit, sewing some of these patches together made me feel like that Wild Bill character from "Silence of the Lambs" when he was making his skin suit, so I had to get past the creepy factor I'd created in my own head. Once I worked through that, it was fairly smooth sailing.

 Other areas required large amounts of patching.
 
There are a couple of spots that need to be hand-stitched because the bulk of the blanket is too massive to maneuver around in my sewing machine, but otherwise it will be all ready for the old sorrel gelding to be strutting around in again by mid-week. It may not be the prettiest repair, but wahoo anyway!!! You know why? Because "Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown!"  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment