Saturday, February 2, 2013

It's Valen-times!

Last night I was feeling all Valentiney, so I decided to put my own spin on a festive little door hanger I'd seen at Rhonna Designs a while back and fell seriously in like with. It just so happens that I have an overabundance of old sheet music in my possession to work with, which made this a perfect project.

I used my paper cutter to cut 1" wide strips of sheet music in two different lengths. I also used it to cut the 2" wide pink ribbon I had in my stash into 1" wide strips and let me tell you, it worked like a charm! After gathering up all of my paper and ribbon strips, I grabbed some coffee filters and sat down to get to work. The first step to putting anything together was cutting a length of jute twine and knotting it on both ends. At one end, I needle felted a falling heart out of red wool roving. The other end I hot-glued to the center of a round piece of cardstock. I also punched three holes in the card stock circle, weaved another length of jute twine through it and knotted it to fashion myself a hanger. With the hard work done here, I started gluing all of my strips and filters to the cardstock, working from the outer edge toward the center. This is what I came up with for the first of two wreaths:


The second wreath did not have a falling heart, but had a 2" pink ribbon in place of the jute twine hanger and far more sheet music strips, which all made it appear much larger and fuller.


Hopefully these cuties get you in the mood to create something memorable for your sweetheart this Valentine's Day. Maybe I'll stumble upon a few more ideas before the holiday creeps up on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment