Monday, March 24, 2014

Hairy Situation

It got a little hairy up in the craft room today! Flowers, ric rac and bias tape from the dresser stash made for some cutesy little accessories, especially when I added in a few sparkly rhinestones here and there.


I used a few different methods, including the ric rac idea I'd found online yesterday that I thought would be fun to try. I am very glad I decided to give the bias tape a try because those are, by far, my favorite. They almost look like miniature knotted rag rugs and I love the look of a nicely constructed knotted rag rug.


The blue flower was ready-made, but I removed the stems that were in it, shot some hot glue between the petals to keep them together, then layered a yellow button and rhinestone. 

Next I used the ric rac to make rose clips. I took all of the material off the cardboard and cut the whole length in half, matched up the two pieces and stitched them together down the center with ye olde Singer Sew Mate. From there, the ric rac was rolled from one end to the other, held in place with hot glue, and voila...ric rac rose!

Finally I worked on the bias tape flowers. For all but the yellow, I had cut out black felt circles, approximately 2" in diameter, because black felt is what I had on hand. I simply tacked the bias tape around the outer edge of the felt and worked my way toward the center, gathering and layering as I went. Once I reached the center, I folded the end under and secured the fabric. I will likely add something decorative to the centers of a few of these and randomly place smaller rhinestones around the "petals" on others. You know, for funsies. :) Oh, most importantly I guess since these are hair accessories, is the fact that I hot glued metal hair clips to the backs of each!!! 

P.S. - The secret behind the yellow is a double layer of John Deere "Nothing Runs Like A Deere" fabric instead of black felt!

No comments:

Post a Comment