Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Donkoupage

Donkoupage. Yep, it's a thing now. I made it happen today. When we moved into this house a little over 4 years ago, I was into the grapes and wine theme so it infected the dining room and kitchen. I'm slowly transforming both to reflect the true "us" because, though we frequently whine, we don't often wine.

I started with this wastebasket which was once perfect for our decor. Now, not so much. I remember how giddy I was when I found it at one of my favorite local consignment shops. And now I'll forever remember the day I closed up the winery for good. Tisk tisk.
 


I gathered up all of the necessaries... scissors, matte finish Mod Podge, glossy finish Mod Podge, small painting sponges, Pampered Chef dish scraper (yes, you read that right) and a 2013 Jackasses calendar that I'm fairly certain every American household has on hand. No? Just mine?


I chose the four pictures I liked the best that would fit appropriately, folded the edges down firmly and removed the excess. The rest of the process was easy, but took some time, as I let each side dry before moving on to the next. I applied matte Mod Podge to the entire surface of whichever side I was working on, then carefully laid on the picture for that side. Using the Pampered Chef scraper (an old credit card works well here, too), I smoothed out the air bubbles. After all four sides were dried, I used the scraper to distress the pictures around the edges and scraped up the Mod Podge surface to add a little texture. Then a final layer of glossy Mod Podge was added and, voila, Donkoupage!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment