Sunday, June 8, 2014

We All Scream for NO BAKES!

All but one Sunday evening of each month, we meet with our small group for Bible study, fellowship and, of course, snacks. Last week my husband was in charge of snacks and he really knocked it out of the park with a chocolate silk pie and some ice cream bars. This afternoon, though, he is at work and I just sunk deep into my recliner after church wondering what I had the ingredients for already in my kitchen cabinets. It probably goes without saying that the less worked required to create something delicious, the better. This afternoon was really just feeling that way after a busy weekend and all. I kind of wanted to take time to reflect on some things, enjoy the quiet, empty house and just be.

Anyone who knows me really, really well knows that I've fallen in love with the new oatmeal I've been eating. That new-found love, however left me with a surplus of another brand of oatmeal. So, I had one ingredient...oatmeal. And I just bought a fresh 4 pound bag of sugar a few weeks ago, though I have no idea why because I rarely ever use it. This got the old motor cranking. I knew the hubby had at least a small stash of peanut butter, so I set to Google and voila!

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups sugar
1/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup milk
1 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups rolled oats

DIRECTIONS:

  1. In a large saucepan, mix sugar, margarine and milk. Bring to a full, rolling boil over medium heat.
  2. Boil for one minute, stirring constantly.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla, stirring until peanut butter is melted; stir in oats.
  4. Working quickly, drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper covered newspaper.
I taste-tested and added the recipe to my recipe box as a keeper. After taking some "me time" this afternoon, I'm also feeling a bit rejuvenated, which is good because I'm off to meet up with friends. Here's praying they're a big hit at our gathering tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment