Friday, June 13, 2014

Happy Daddy Day

Why does it seem like Mother's Day gifts are so easy to come by, but Father's Day often leaves us wondering what to gift to those wonderful men in our lives? Be it a father, husband, brother, grandfather, uncle, family friend...whomever that very special man in your life is, how do you show appreciation on this special day?

There are many special earthly men in my life, but my dad, husband and brother take top billing. I really don't know what I'd do without any of them. Try as I may, I know that I never express how much they mean to me appropriately. I love them all, enjoy their company immensely, laugh when we spend time together and love that we all share a special bond. I count myself fortunate that they also enjoy their "boy time" without feeling awkward around each other.

This year has been quite a year of change for me and my husband and one of the new things that's been added to our time together is his crafting. Yep, I've found a craft that he enjoys quite a bit and actually had to purchase more supplies for him today. The knot master feels right at home making bracelets and keychains out of paracord and is currently watching video after video to learn new knots and embellishments. I love it!

Now the Father's Day gifts I worked on today needed Sharpie markers, a dab of paint and some burlap. Alright, there was more to them than that. I created my designs in Microsoft Publisher as I typically do, because I have wretched handwriting and don't think any freehanding I'd have done would look presentable. In fact, I ruined one canvas putting that theory to the test.



(Censored merely to protect the recipient before he is surprised with his gift on Father's Day)


I fell madly in love with these little two little 8"x6" burlap canvasses that I found at the local department store for under $5.00. They're the perfect size for this type of project, though bigger would work great for other ideas I'm kicking around now. I was really hoping I could transfer my words onto the burlap, but it didn't work with carbon paper or fabric tracing paper, so I measured letters and just went for it. I am very pleased with how both pieces turned out and am anxious to try more projects using burlap!

Happy (early) Father's Day to all and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment