Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Knot Happenin'

All thumbs today, that's me! Here's the entire story. About a year and a half ago, my nephew became infatuated with paracord and was so proficient at making bracelets that I invited him to sell them at my booth during a local horse tack sale. He did quite well, even creating custom designs on the spot. Not bad for an elementary school entrepreneur.

A few months ago my teenage daughter asked if I'd purchase her a little paracord bracelet making kit so she could learn to make them as well. Of course, me being all about crafty things, I bought it for her and watched it collect dust for quite some time. Then one day she sat down, fumbled around with the included instructions until she became so frustrated that she tossed them aside and figured out how to maneuver the paracord on her own. She started making keychains like it had been her job for eons. The very first one she completed was given away as a gift and immediately put to use. Needless to say, I was quite impressed.

This morning I eyeballed her little paracord kit and figured, what the hey, I'll give it a shot. This is what I ended up with.
I kept trying and somehow kept getting worse, if that's even possible. Finally I gave up and threw the whole jumbled up mess at the hubby and said, "here, Master of the Knots", a self-proclaimed title he claimed long, long ago, "you do it!" This is what he managed to accomplish:

They both thought they were going to pep talk me into learning how to make these durable and highly functional little key keepers, until I reminded them that we've all been blessed with different skills for a reason. As long as I have the both of them, I really should encourage them to grow their natural talents, right? But of course! Hey, it kept them otherwise occupied for a little bit today while I focused my work elsewhere. :) Where I live, we call that T-E-A-M-W-O-R-K...or something.



No comments:

Post a Comment