Wednesday, May 14, 2014

(Re)Claiming It!

It is likely not every mother's dream to have a truck full of wooden pallets delivered to her garage by her husband for Mother's Day. But for this crafty mama, it was a dream come true! I have a huge, long wish list of projects I want to make from reclaimed pallet wood that I wasn't sure where I'd start. Well, I've had two pallets sitting on the patio since last fall and haven't done anything with them yet, but I know I need way more than that for everything I have in mind.

Sunday night, hubby called before he left work to ask if dear daughter and I could meet him at the garage in fifteen minutes for a surprise. I, of course, initiated a quick game of 20 questions. "Is it big?" "Is it dead?" "Is it delicious?" "Is it alive?" He just laughed and finally answered, "It used to be" to being alive. I was hoping for a juicy steak. The truckload of pallets was so much better. And what put an even bigger smile on my face was seeing dear daughter immediately size up the huge wooden crate at the back of the truck and say, "This is going to be my tack box!" See, she had drawn up two different tack box designs on her laptop several months ago and, in this moment, she saw her vision starting to become a reality. Now she has a glimpse of what I experience when I see those special items that deserve new life and I couldn't be more thrilled.

The first project the hubby and I decided to tackle was a new saddle stand for Bettie Lou, my grandma Bettie's old saddle that decorates the corner of the craft room. It inspires me, as she was the craftiest woman I've ever known. I was so closely bonded with her and loved spending long hours in her ceramic shop when I was young, working under the professional cash register operator name that she and my Papaw Buck gave me, Miss Holly Cunningham. Oh my, did we all make some fun memories in that shop together. But I digress...

We still have some nail pulling and sanding to finish up before we assemble this very first one, but here's what we have so far. I couldn't wait to share this first project. The goal is to eventually create saddle stands entirely of reclaimed wood. But for this first one, I purchased a sheet of 1x12x6 pine for the ends. The finished stand should measure 36" high and 24" deep. These are the ends.
Hubby used his DeWalt reciprocating saw to cut the nails and deconstruct the first pallet. We estimate this first saddle stand, using the pine ends, will only require one pallet worth of reclaimed wood. Future stands made entirely of reclaimed pallet wood should require two pallets each.
I am contemplating whether or not I want to personalize this particular stand with a bit of pyrography. I think it would add a really nice extra element to the finished piece. I have some time to think about it. And if I don't decide until after it's finished, it's something I could definitely add later.

Can't wait to share it with you once it's finished!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment