Friday, May 9, 2014

Pie Day Friday

"Would you like to donate pies for this coming weekend? You can bring store-bought pies, that's ok." It's for a great cause, the 5K that our church is hosting, and I do love a good slice of pie from time to time. I offered to bring 2. My husband bumped it up to 3. Then 4. When he learned only 1 more was needed to meet the quota, he offered my services to bring 5. Why do I say my services? Because he'd be at work when those pies needed to be made. Yeah, I wasn't about to go for store-bought. I considered it, but I have the time and I enjoy being in the kitchen, aaaaaaaaand I actually found some yummy sounding no-bake pie recipes to try out.

I love to cook, but baking has never really been my forte. I remember that I baked a homemade apple pie once. I believe I may have been in high school. It wasn't bad - pretty dense if memory serves correctly - and I'm certain I did something wrong or else I would have continued baking. So I opted for recipes that didn't require baking just for my own peace of mind. Hubby and I went to to grocery yesterday and loaded up on all of the ingredients for Twix pie, chocolate chip cream cheese pie, (2) peanut butter pies and fluffy key lime pie. I announced rather proudly that, if everything turned out according to plan, it would cost less to make the pies than purchase store-bought pies. Hubby's immediate response was, "and if everything doesn't?"

"Ummmmmmm, well, Mr. Donnie Downer, we just won't be thinking that way because then that just means the store-bought pies I'd be taking would cost almost twice as much, so that's not going to happen." What was he thinking???

After dear daughter was safely delivered to school this morning, I got to baking. Technically not baking. Technically, I got to mixing together several different ingredients. From 8:00 am to 10:00 pm, I successfully made six pies instead of the five I set out to make. It turns out the Twix pie recipe I had is for a deep dish pie crust. I had regular crusts. Yes, I cheated and purchased pie crusts rather than attempting to bake them today. So it's a good thing I invested in a few extra. Anyway, I had twice as much Twix pie filling as one crust would hold and was able to make two pies from it. I know a few teenage girls who will be thrilled to learn of this tonight!

This is what I managed to accomplish in two hours this morning:

Twix Pie
Fluffy Key Lime Pie
Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Pie
Peanut Butter Pies
I really hope they taste as delicious to whomever takes them home as the filling did to me when I taste-tested each one this morning! Now I'm off to see what else I can get into today. This sure could get interesting.









No comments:

Post a Comment